Author Topic: Season 6 Discussion  (Read 180513 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: Season 6 Discussion
« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2012, 22:15:02 PM »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Delboy

• Silver Member
  • Its not about the Poker
« Reply #361 on: January 25, 2012, 00:12:26 AM »

I"m an old stick in the mud but I don"t see that Options 2 & 3 offer the stability or guaranteed budget that a full season of events would (to my mind) require. I much prefer KNOWING that an event will be taking place at a certain venue and on certain date (subject only to the vicissitudes of fate) and planning my year well in advance.

With regards to season six I have to agree with Paulie. Long term, however Option 3 maybe the most profitable way to go, providing you can find a good network to launch a skin through, and possibly an aggressive marketing campaign around local card-rooms, pub poker leagues etc.

bhoywonder70

• Silver Member
« Reply #362 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »
It"s all exciting ...options 1 n 3 for me...n a full run at it this yr hopefully....
Apat Scottish online open gold medal holder 2008....

Donka

• Bronze Member
« Reply #363 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
Option 1 for me.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #364 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »

ss far as I see. Option 1 is a check, option 2 is a shove and with option 3 you"ve also thrown your car keys in and flopped your nuts out onto the table.

I think that pretty much sums it up.  Nicely put Dave.

ChipHungry

« Reply #365 on: January 25, 2012, 14:41:35 PM »
Option 1 please As
2012 Goals:
[ ] Cash in an APAT event

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2012, 15:43:09 PM »
Option 1 would be my personal preference by a mile. It would provide a greater stability for the forthcoming season and involve the least amount of ongoing stress for Des, Tighty and team.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

cundallini

• Bronze Member
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2012, 16:23:36 PM »
Option 1 with pokerstars would be reallllllllllllllllll good.

Would like to see it stay in the UK and have more mixed games at each event.

Deuces never looses

stratosphere

« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2012, 17:47:16 PM »

Option 1 with pokerstars would be reallllllllllllllllll good.

Would like to see it stay in the UK and have more mixed games at each event.

+1 (esp. the Pokerstars bit).

I think stability is the key.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2012, 18:27:41 PM »

Option 3 would be very brave. It is quite exciting but you would rely on the patronage of your high rakers who may be on good deals elsewhere.

I don"t like Option 2. Personally, I"m trying to cut down on the number of sites I use, especially with all these hacking stories and the very real risk of some sites going t*ts up in the recession. Chopping and changing is bitty, messy and a few people just might not bother with it.

Option 1 is probably the most boring, but the one I like most so I suppose I must be boring. I would like a safe site to play APAT poker on and probably most of my (small stakes) poker would be played there. One site, everything on it - Simples!

I agree.

I would do my best to play whatever the outcome is though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 19:49:47 PM by Paulie_D »
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Hammerite

• Gold Member
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2012, 22:56:15 PM »

Then again option 1 has worked over the past 5 seasons.... if you can get the right deal and it means stability for the remainder of the season without having any events in doubt then I"m always a fan. Nothing worse than planning time off work and around holidays for an event and to have it cancelled.

This....+1

This  + 2   And I for one would be in favour of a membership fee like season one had, to cover any shortfall in sponsorship in these times of austerity.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 23:00:02 PM by Hammerite »
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

Desi

• Northern Ireland Poker Federation
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2012, 04:10:26 AM »
Option one seems to be the safest option assuming you get the deal you need of course.
One of the newer sites might be the best ones to approach, but Im sure you have done plenty in the way of getting a deal. It also seems to have worked well over the past few years.

Option two, as you say runs the risk of a sponsor pulling out at the last minute and event(s) being cancelled. Its also going to be very hard to get people to sign up to multiple sites.

Option three, sounds good and would be ideal if it worked, but if it doesnt it could do a lot of damage to APAT. Theres a lot of online sites that dont make it, its a tough market to crack and would take a lot to make it work.

Im sure this doesnt make your decison any easier Des lol
N.I Poker Federation www.nipf.co.uk

1TRW1

• Silver Member
« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »

If the Nationals are played in the right places I don"t think they need to be touched (some larger capacities would be nice though). The Online League has been discussed to death and everyone has their own ideas there. It would be nice to see some weight thrown behind a flagship event (be it the Worlds or something else) and for APAT + sponsor to jump up and down and shout "Hey, look at us". Grosvenor got well over 1,000 for the Goliath, DTD plenty for their £50 super tournament. Not suggesting APAT goes and offers £100k guarantees (or maybe...) but there is clearly appetite for a well marketed lower stakes event.

Agree with this.

As far as I see. Option 1 is a check, option 2 is a shove and with option 3 you"ve also thrown your car keys in and flopped your nuts out onto the table.

And this has had me giggling at my desk for 5 mins now.  :)
HTID
Science is ALWAYS beautiful

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2012, 13:46:15 PM »
option 1 is getting a bit tired IMO - Des negotiates great deal, site looks at a how much value they have got from the deal at the end of the year, site not impressed, site not interested in sponsoring any more, des negotiates deal for for next season...rinse and repeat....untill we run out of sites

This option is never helped by members whinging about the site, whether it be the software or a CS issue. I know most greivances are genuine, but I feel a bit of diplomacy and vision of the bigger picture is in order here.

Option 2 looks ok but would be a lot of work for Des and would feel like the season is permanantly in limbo. (and the winge posts about all the different online sites would put me on permanant tilt)

I love option 3 - Des has the skillz to get this off the ground and to make it a success.....Can I have rakeback please???
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2012, 14:35:36 PM »
Is there a potential hybrid option?

Option 3 affiliated to Option 1 for the core events with option 2 for some "one offs"?